Join other instructors teaching online to explore techniques, strategies, and practices that will help you identify and hone your plan for connecting with students and managing your online course.
- Includes independent and collaborative activities offered through an online Canvas course in addition to synchronous face-to-face or webinar meetings.
- Designed so instructors work on their own course as part of the learning. For example, participants complete a journal to reflect on online teaching practices to help structure plans for facilitating their online course.
- Participants develop activities and important documents for their own courses.
Time Commitment: Participants spend two to three hours per online module for a total of six modules (total of approximately 15 hours over 11 weeks) and then we meet for 1.5 hours face-to-face or via a one-hour webinar.
Note: Participants will be sent a survey asking about availability for either in-person or webinar dates. The majority of the content is provided in an online Canvas course.
Spring 2019 semester dates will be determined based on when the majority who register are available.
Program goals include:
- Experience and reflect on pedagogical and technological best practices.
- Develop a facilitation plan to manage course workload.
- Plan strategies for effective student communication and engagement.
- Create a checklist of essential preparation tasks prior to teaching an online course.
- Develop engaging online discussions and facilitate student participation.
- Share ideas and strategies with a community of peers who have a common goal to teach quality online courses.
Facilitation & Management features the following online course modules:
Module 1: Online Instructor Roles
Module 2: Supporting eLearners
Module 3: Communication & Participation
Module 4: Online Discussions
Module 5: Course Management Strategies
Module 6: Lessons Learned
What participants said:
- “Most valuable to me was the actual experience of course from both the student and teacher perspectives.”
- “I have been teaching for a while, but this was the first course I’ve taken that has given me all the skills I need to be an effective instructor.”